HMCS Cornwallis, 1960
Commodore Landymore presents a swimming trophy to Robert Berbeck at HMCS Cornwallis, June 1960.
OSSGS Terry Hockley is in the background.
The photo was autographed by Commodore Landymore in 1962 when he inspected
HMCS Ste Therese in 1962.
Robert says: "This is the water polo team that our division, Terra Nova 2/60, had. We went unbeaten in all of our water polo games.
We had numbers on our hats for the refs to call fouls on us but we had very few of them".
Back Row: #1 Len Ethier, Team Captain Cicconi, #3 Don Campbell, #12 Briggs, #6 Tiny Madsen.
Front Row: #10 (unknown), #9 (unknown), #2 Robert Berbeck, #4 Wayne Chute, #7 (unknown).
DND Photo June 1960. These are the tropy winners of various swimming competitions.
Back Row: Unknown, Chute, Briggs, PO1 J. Read Divisional P.O., Madsen, Campbell, Unknown.
Front Row: Unknown, Unknown, OSSGS Berbeck, Paul, Unknown.
OS "Bob" Berbeck from Canada's sunny British Columbia and a representative of Terra Nova Division put the June
Cock-O-Walk on ice for his Division as he won three (3) events in the New Entry and Open Swimming Meet held in the
P&RT School Swimming Pools Thur., 23 Jun 60.
Berbeck won the 25 metre Free Style, 100 metre Free Style and the
50 metre Back. While swimming the 50 metre Back, "Bob" smashed the Pool Record for that stroke with a time of
Terra Nova Division with 7 firsts, 1 second and 1 third place, compiled a total of 131 points to win the
New Entry side of the Meet. Margaree finished a strong second, while St. Croix wound up in third spot and
Columbia won the cellar position.
In the Open events, Communication
School finished on top, with the U.N.T.D. Cadets in second place and Guard Division in third.
- Following are the results:
- 25 M Free Style — 1 Berbeck (Ter) 14.1; 2 Bellis (St. C).
- 25 M Breast — 1 Hiddleston (Ter) 20.8; 2 Perks (St. C.)
- 50 M Free (Open)— 1 Fretz (CS) 31.8; 2 Muirhead (UNTD).
- 25 M Back — 1 Webster (Mar.) 20.5; 2 Coleman (Ter).
- 25 M Butterfly — 1 Perks (St. C.) 19.6; 2 Ross (Mar).
- 50 M Breast (Open) — 1 Mercheson (Gu) 41.6; 2 Dunbar (CS).
- 50 M Free Style — 1 Renner (Ter) 35.6; 2 Mellis (St. C.)
- 50 M Breast — 1 Ross (Mar.) 45.1; 2 Hanley (Ter).
- 50 M Back — 1 Berbeck (Ter.) 36.1 (Pool Record); 2 Stewart (St. C.)
- 100 M Free (Open) — 1 Fretz (CS) 1:16.2; 2 Griffiths (Gu).
- Trapeze Diving — 1 Thompson (St. C.); 2 Paul (Ter).
- 100 M Medley Relay — 1 Terra Nova.
- 400 M Free Style Relay — 1 Terra Nova.
- New Entry Standings — 1st, Terra Nova; 2nd, Margaree; 3rd, St. Croix; 4th, Columbia.
- Note: Legend: Te—Terra Nova: St. C.—St. Croix; CS—Communications School;
UNTD—University Naval Training Division; Mar—Margaree; Gu—Guards Division.
Email Robert Berbeck.
Can you provide names, details or corrections?
Please email Charlie Dobie.
BACK TO MAIN MENU